Address: The Mall, London SW1A 2BN

350m from Charing Cross

150m from Charing Cross

Admiralty Arch is a Grade 1 listed building situated next to the Old Admiralty Building and stretches across the road between Trafalgar Square and The Mall. Indeed, it was built to separate the public of the Square on one side from the royal and state buildings on the other.

It was designed by Sir Aston Webb and built by the Mowlem company. It was completed in 1912, being commissioned by King Edward VII in memory of his mother, Queen Victoria.

The Latin inscription at the top reads:

: ANNO : DECIMO : EDWARDI : SEPTIMI : REGIS : VICTORIAE : REGINAE : CIVES : GRATISSIMI : MDCCCCX :

This translates into ‘In the tenth year of King Edward VII, to Queen Victoria, from most grateful nation, 1910’.

The central arch is only used on state occasions, but the two large arches either side are traffic lanes, although closed on Sundays. The small outer arches are for pedestrians.

A novel feature of the Arch is a sculptured nose that can be seen around seven feet off the ground on the inside wall of the central arch. It is believed to be the work of a local artist, with another seven being situated in Soho.

The arch was refurbished in 2000 and occupied by the cabinet office. It was recently acquired by an investment company who have purchased a 99 year lease and have gained planning permission for a 100 bedroom 5 star hotel together with residential apartments.

A bit like The Cenotaph and the bridges, it’s one of the landmarks in London that can be closely viewed whilst driving through the city.

Click on the pics below for an enlarged view and use the arrow towards the right edge of each pic to go on to the next.