Address: London SE1 7JU


Time Information:

Phone: +44 (0) 207 898 1200


900m from Vauxhall

800m from Lambeth North

Lambeth Palace has been owned by the church since around 1200 and has been the London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury since the 13th century with the first resident Archbishop being Stephen Langton. Since then, particularly a few hundred years ago, the occupants wielded enormous power, not just ecclesiastically, but in the running of the country and the Thameside location and the proximity to Parliament and the Royal Palaces was obviously ideal.

The church’s power extended at times to court proceedings and in the 14th century they held the trial of English preacher and dissident John Wycliffe on heresy charges. Lollard’s Tower, built in the 17th century is a reminder of these times as it was used as a prison.

The only part of the Palace today that hasn’t been redeveloped since originally built is Langton’s Chapel and the Crypt. The imposing gateway of Morton’s Tower was added in 1490 and this has remained unchanged since, as has the Guard Room.

Often due to its political importance, damage has taken place over the years. The Palace was attacked during the Peasants’ Revolt of 1381 and much renovation was needed after the Great Hall was ransacked during the English Civil War of 1642. Further work was done by Edward Blore in 1834 and repair was needed following bomb damage in the Second World War.

Today the Palace is home to the current Archbishop and his family and is home to wonderful works of art and an extensive library that contains over 120,000 books as well as records and manuscripts from early days.

The Palace is found on Lambeth Palace Road and Lambeth Road and guided tours are available.

Situated near Lambeth Bridge, it’s one of a host of landmarks in central London with a riverside location.

Click on the pics below for an enlarged view and use the arrow towards the right edge of each pic to go on to the next.